30 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About ‘The Big Lebowski’
1. The reason Steve Buscemi’s character, Donny, is constantly being told to “Shut the fuck up!” by Walter John Goodman, is because Buscemi’s character in Fargo would not shut up.
2. Before filming a scene, Jeff Bridges would frequently ask the Coen Brothers “Did the Dude burn one on the way over?” If they said he had, he would rub his knuckles in his eyes before doing a take.
3. The Dude meets a lot of new people throughout the story, outside his “tribe”. But only three, Brandt, Jackie Treehorn and The Cowboy show enough “respect” for him to call him “Dude”.
4. The F-word or a variation of the F-word is used 292 times.
5. The Dude says “man” 147 times in the movie, nearly 1.5 times a minute.
6. A lot of the Dude’s clothes in the movie were Jeff Bridges’s own clothes, including his Jellies sandals.
7. People mention peeing on the dude’s rug 17 times. They also mention that the rug “really tied the room together” 5 times.
8. When we’re introduced to the Dude’s bowling arch-nemesis Jesus, a flamenco version of The Eagles song “Hotel California” plays and is portrayed as playing on the bowling alley’s PA system. Later, we learn in the taxicab scene that the Dude hates the eagles.
9. The Dude tells Maude he was a roadie for Metallica on their fictional “Speed of Sound” tour and refers to the band members as a “bunch of assholes.” Metallica themselves were flattered to be referred to in a Coen Brothers movie.
10. The Dude’s line, “The Dude abides,” is a reference to Ecclesiastes 1:4, “One generation passes away, and another generation comes: but the earth abides forever.” It is a reference to how the Dude, much like the Earth, can weather change and chaos around him, but still remain the same.